I know I have neglected my blog lately. Here are a few of my lame excuses for not posting anything:
1. I just applied to graduate school. I had to study for and take the GMAT, fill out all the applications, write essays, request transcripts, pay all the fees, etc. I managed to get it all done the day before the cut-off date. Now I just have to wait and see if I get in...any day now.
2. I have been super busy with work. I actually only work part-time, but I have come to realize that when you do something that you don't particularly like and that you are not really that good at, it takes a lot out of you, especially if you find out that your boss resents you being there in the first place (*sigh* lots of drama that deserves a post all its own...grrr...).
3. I gave the lesson in Relief Society this past Sunday. I enjoy teaching, but it always takes me an entire Saturday to prepare. The lesson was on President Monson's Conference talk called "What Have I Done for Someone Today?". I think it went well. But, I've noticed that whenever I teach, the women don't participate as much. I can't figure out if it's because they are rapt in attention, or that they are bored to death. Hmmm...
4. I have been cooking a lot lately to make TV dinners. I even copied Mark and Mel by making meatloaf dinners. They turned out way yum! I've also made Spinach and Sausage Linguine, Lasagna, Quiche, Spinach and Mushroom Tortellini, and Enchiladas. I've also made some desserts (Apple Crumble, Million Dollar Cake and Heidi's Peaches and Cream dessert) to freeze as well. Mmmm...I'm entering the apocalypse in style...and in larger pants.
5. I've also been preparing make-ahead lunches for work. Right now I'm eating Greek wrap stuff. Basically, I found some crazy soy wraps at the "Used Food Store" (as Pappy so affectionately put it) for a super deal. I fill them with cubed chicken (that I cooked in a marinade in my crock pot overnight and then chopped it up in the morning), lettuce, tomatoes and a Greek yogurt type dressing that I found on AllRecipes.com (perfect, since I was looking for an excuse to use up some cucumbers and yogurt). Delish!
6. I finally finished "Liberal Fascism" by Jonah Goldberg. I probably started it like a year ago (a few things have happened since then, eh). I think I literally have notes scribbled on the margins of every single page. It was so fascinating. It gives such a clear definition of what fascism is and how it manifests itself in different societies, including American society! It gives such a concise picture of the modern Progressive movement and it's beginnings. I don't think there are that many people that profess to be Progressives that truly understand what it means. It answered a lot of my "How did we get here as a society?" and "Where did we take a wrong turn?" questions. It may sound like it would be a boring read, but I found it quite entertaining and incredibly informative...but then again, this is coming from the girl that was moved to tears by "Summer of My German Soldier", so...
7. My blog really cuts into my TV time. At the moment I'm working my way through "Roots" again. I love you mom and dad, but come on, it's Kunta Kinte! My visiting teacher let me borrow the new BBC versions of Persuasion and Sense and Sensibility. No version of Persuasion can outdo the Ciran Hinds version in my opinion, but it was definitely worth watching (and definitely on my list to purchase later on). I absolutely loved the new version of Sense and Sensibility. I was skeptical that anything could compare with the Emma Thompson version, but I think I like this new version as much as that one. What I really liked about it was how the girls were closer in age to the book characters. The scenery was gorgeous and the colors were rich and vibrant. Well worth seeing and a must-have for a Jane Austen video collection....if you have a Jane Austen video collection...Marky...
Story Box
13 years ago
You have no idea how excited I was to open your blog and NOT see your crockpot. Your post today was full of all kinds of great and fun information.
ReplyDeleteA bunch of questions:
1. What graduate school program are you going to get involved with?
2. What kind of place are you working at and what are you doing at your job?
3. How are the folks next door, the ones running the meth lab? Any problems with them or anyone else for that matter?
4. Have you made some nice friends? Do you like your Ward?
Please eMail answers to: lauralee@manorbooks.com
Holly, I LOVE your varied and diverse life. Keep the posts coming - your Auntie looks forward to them bigtime.
Hollers! I have that Sense and Sensibility in my queue @ Netflix, and I am so excited to see you recommend it since I personally loved the Emma T. version too, so I wondered if this one was any good. And I am with you, the Persuasion with Amanda Root & Mr. Hinds is the BEST!!!! I have watched it 3 different times in the last month on the instant play on Netflix and was lucky enough to find the DVD @ ShopKo for $10 shortly thereafter. Love it! I am so so so sorry I missed your call the other day, but I will catch up to you again soon. Right now I am heading into the kitchen to dive into my huge pie and Thanksgiving baking and cooking extravagnaza. I am going overboard. Again. Of course. I mean, come on, it's me we're taling about. I can't function any other way unless I am making crazy amounts of food for a family gathering. Am I right or am I right? right? Right?
ReplyDeleteIf I made a random list it would include...
ReplyDelete-Gray-bee is super fixated on women's breasts and can't stop touching them. And by "them" I mean mine. He's driving me crazy.
How's that for a random update?
I just watched Persuasion with Ciran Hines and really liked it. I am sure I would have liked it more without the huge Estee fit in the beginning then middle of the movie. I will have to watch it again.
ReplyDeleteI hope things get better at work. It was fun yo talk to you today. You sounded great.
Please Don't Hate Me for replying to this a full montha fter you wrote it! While cleaning me email folders I stumbled onto the email about your blog and realized I am a slacker and hadn't checked it out!
ReplyDeleteAnyhoo...not sure if you know, but I run an entire freeze ahead meal site. There are some great recipes there. I update it every Monday.
Great to ehar about your life right now! We are busy busy busy and happy happy HAPPY! Hope you are too! LOVES! Emmy
P.S.
ReplyDelete1. My typing skills suck. Sorry for all of the confusing extra letters.
2. The website for freezing is http://www.freezehappy.com
Happy New Year Holly!! Thanks for the card. I LOVE it.
ReplyDeleteAdler LOVES the Siwash. It is SO incredible. Thank You so much. I will post pictures soon.
ReplyDeleteKorby