Saturday, September 26, 2009

Are You Ready For Me To Bore You To Death?

I've tried not to put many political things on my blogs because I realize that I'm probably the only one interested in all that stuff. But, I've recently realized that I don't have much else to put on my blog, so you will just have to suffer the boredom of some of my thoughts on politics.

A really cool thing happened at the UN General Assembly this week.
Now, generally speaking, I don't pay any attention to the UN either (they increasingly demonstrate that they don't have the interests of the U.S. in mind), but Benjamin Netanyahu's speech was powerful and condemning.

A little background:

On Wednesday, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad (the president of Iran) gave a speech to the UN General Assembly. In it, he railed against Israel. This is not surprising since, in the recent past, he has publicly stated that Iran's goal is to destroy the "little Satan" (Israel) and then the "great Satan" (the US). He emphatically denies that the ever Holocaust happened, calling it "a lie". He only refers to Israel as the "Zionist Regime" and "the Occupiers". He talks about a Jewish conspiracy, saying, "It is no longer acceptable that a small minority would dominate the politics, economy and culture of major parts of the world by its complicated networks." He also accuses the Jews of seeking to "establish a new form of slavery, and harm the reputation of other nations, even European nations and the US, to attain its racist ambitions."


...Like I said, crazy. A lot of people were upset that he was allowed to speak at all. Such a public forum would only give legitimacy to a tyrant. Some countries refused to go to Ahmadinejad's speech at all (Israel and Canada), while other countries had delegates that walked out during the speech (the US, Argentina, Australia, Britain, Costa Rica, Denmark, France Germany, Hungary, Italy, New Zealand).

Well, the next day, Benjamin Netanyahu (the Prime Minister of Israel) spoke to the UN General Assembly. The first part is basically a response to Ahmadinejad's speech, but he goes on to condemn the UN and Palestine and finishes with a declaration of Israel's right to defend itself and merely to exist. It really impressed me.


I'm not clever enough yet to imbed a video, so here's a link to the first part (out of 4) of the speech.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44HkjBDQz_k


The first part is the strongest, so if you watch anything, that would be the best.


2 comments:

  1. Every time I see that first pic, I think it's Steve Carell. Then I take a closer look, and realize I am an idiot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is great you are interested in politics. I think most of it is over my head. Scott fills me in on what I need to know or he dumbs it down for me. It seems so complicated, interesting, important, and Scary.

    ReplyDelete