Texas is definitely a unique place. I've only been here about a month, but already there are some definite differences that I have noticed between here and anywhere else I have lived. For instance...
Good Different:
Everyone is so polite. I am now officially a "Ma'am" everywhere I go. I didn't realize how much I had grown accustomed to DC's back-off-ish-ness (I think I just made that up...but you get what I mean). Don't get me wrong, people in DC are lovely, but they are initially very distrusting and it takes a bit get past that. Here, everyone automatically treats you as if you have been friends for years. Anyone that I casually mention to that I am looking for a job has come up to me again later and asked me how the job-hunt was going. I can't believe they remember details about a casual conversation that we had...which only makes it worse that I don't even remember their name or anything that they told me before. I may need to work on that whole "developing charity" thing. Twice already I have purchased groceries, picked up my bags and walked out of the store only to have an employee run franticly out of the store after me asking me why I didn't wait for them to carry my groceries to my car for me. They were genuinely confused when I explained that I could just do it by myself. They almost seemed hurt that I didn't need them.
Bad Different:
The juice selection stinks. I drink A LOT. In restaurants, along with finishing off my entire meal, I will easily down 4-5 drinks. My tips usually reflect a waitresses vigilance to refills. Sheesh...it's a good thing I was born into a Mormon family because I would easily be a lush if I wasn't. My roommates used to tease me because I never drank out of normal glasses. I had my special cup that was approximately the same size as an extra large cottage cheese container because regular cups just don't hold enough. Think how much time I have saved in refill time alone! Anyway, I love juice and always keep a gallon of prepared juice in my fridge to fill my huge cup. Well, every grocery store I go to has (no kidding) at least 10 different varieties of orange juice. There's regular, country-style, pulp-free, extra pulp, calcium boost, etc. But, other than orange juice, the pickins are pretty slim. One brand of apple juice, one of grape juice cocktail, and two kinds of lemonade (regular or pink). I miss all the fun Old Orchard flavors. *sigh*
Indifferent Different (haha):
There was a baby blessing yesterday in church. The little boy was given the name Cougar-Jay. I don't remember his last name...I was a little distracted by the first name. It was really cute to hear the dad all through the blessing addressing his son saying "Cougar-Jay (this)" and "Cougar-Jay (that)". Is it completely irreverent that all I could think about during the blessing was the line from Taladega Nights "This is my son Walker, and my other son Texas Ranger."?
Story Box
13 years ago
Wow, I'm an even bigger jerk than I thought because I actually don't remember Kohl's.
ReplyDeleteI am still hoping to fulfill my dream of having twins and naming them "Law" and "Order".
ReplyDelete