Sunday, August 23, 2009

It's About Time, Eh!

Well, I've finally decided to restart a blog. I figured this would be a good way to give everyone a heads-up on what I'm doing (you know, since that worked out so well last time).
In case you don't already know, I no longer live in Maryland. I moved to Lubbock Texas! (psst...it's the red dot on the map)



If anyone is shocked by this, join the club. It was a last minute decision that needed to be done quick if it was going to be done at all. "Why Lubbock?" you may ask... Well, it may seem random, but there actually is a reason behind it. I loved living in the Washington DC area, but I knew that I didn't want to live there for the rest of my life. I lost my job earlier than I was anticipating, so I figured that now was as good a time as any for a change if I wanted to get the most out of my severance package. I've always been curious about Texas and their job growth is continually beating out the rest of the country. I knew that I definitely wanted to move someplace warmer, but I was pretty done with humidity. Well, west Texas is hot and dry. After a brief internet search, turns out that the only Temple in west Texas is in Lubbock. Hmmm...Lubbock it is!

I have settled into a cozy little apartment...that was the least ghetto of all the places that I looked at. (Huh...who knew Lubbock had a ghetto!) Now that I have finally figured out how to upload pictures that don't require a microscope for viewing, I'll give you a virtual tour of my apartment. This is a view of the quadruplex (did I just make that word up?) from across the street. I'm in the second apartment over.
If you squint really hard, you can see my van parked in front of my door (well, not exactly in front of my door...then I wouldn't be able to get in!). This is a closer view of my front door. Can you feel the excitement building! I sure can!
Now, before I go on, I want to clarify that I am not done putting my house together. It is a bit messy now, but I wanted to just take pictures as it was and not try and sugar coat it...so stop judging me! When you walk in the front door, it opens right into the living room. Ahh...notice the unhidden speaker wires on the wall, the un-put-away boxes on the floor, and the orphan bed instead of a couch (and it's even un-made...what a slob!). The far door goes into the bedroom, but we're not going there yet. Stop trying to get ahead of the tour!
This is a view of the same room, but from the opposite side. That's the front door. I would like to draw your attention to the television that I got for a super deal at a local thrift store. Works like a charm.
Just off of the living room is the kitchen area. There is a small space for a table...if I had a table. Right now it's just a couple of chairs that I brought with me. I'm hoping to find something on Craigslist or at a thrift store once I have some extra cash to blow.
Around the corner is the kitchen. Magical, isn't it?!
Now, into the bedroom. This is the view from the living room. That door leads to the back yard (nice lock set, Pappy!). Those are my clothes on the shelf. You may not know this about me, but I hate putting my clothes in drawers. I try and put all of my folded clothes on shelves. That way, I can see everything that I have at a glance rather than having to dig through a deep drawer. I used to have a big shelf cabinet so I could close the doors for a tidier look, but it was too big to lug all the way here. I saw one for sale at Target the other day...ahh, yet another thing I want to blow my wad on. I have my computer all set up (including the amazing flat screen that I also found at a thrift store for a screamin' deal!). Also, if you look in the corner...yes, that's a stack of totes filled with nothing but yarn. ...I can stop anytime I want to!
This is a view of my bedroom from the opposite side. (I swear...that girl doesn't know how to make a bed). My bed is on risers so that I can store all of my DVDs underneath. I have my priorities worked out here. Hmm...more shelf trivia about Holly that you may not know: I prefer a shelf for a nightstand. I usually read in bed before I go to sleep. Rather than have a heap of books piled on the floor beside my bed, I put the books that I'm reading and cross-referencing on the shelf. It sounds like I'm being efficient, but it's really just laziness. I hate getting out of my toasty bed just to look something up.
This is my great closet. I didn't realize until recently what a clotheshorse I was. Closet space is essential.
Just off of the bedroom is the bathroom. You can even kind of see me taking the picture.
Only one view of the kitchen, but two of the bathroom?! I don't understand it either...
Last stop on the tour: the uninviting back yard. At least I don't have to mow.
Well, hopefully I haven't bored you to tears (I know I cried a little bit). Thus far, things have been working out quite providentially. I'm hoping to secure a job sometime next week. I'm feeling quite hopeful right now. I'll keep you posted as things warrant, eh!

5 comments:

  1. What a great surprise to see your new place getting set up. You are so gutsy and brave -you make your Auntie so proud! Also thrilled that I am the first person to comment on your new blog. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Hollers! Love the blog and the pics! And I too can stop anytime I want. Except my totes are filled with fabric instead fo yarn. Although I would LOVE some totes stuffed with yarn. Hmm, I think I need to get on that, stat! Oh, and Craig says thank you for sparking a new craft hoarding obsession for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Sister, I am so glad that you have a blog again (that you will undoubtedly start to ignore soon) Steer clear of white windowless vans. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to hop on the Greyhound and come see you in Lubbock this winter. A great getaway from the cold and into the dry and warm of Texas. How fun does that sound?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I would love it! Such a fun! Even in the end of summer here, I am absolutely loving the weather!

    ReplyDelete